These beans are awesome!! So delicious! And they really work well with the pulled pork. These were my favorite part of the meal! I almost had to use kidney beans, as I couldn't find pinto beans anywhere! However I was very happy to eventually find them at a little shop that sells lots of imported goods.
· 1 onion finely chopped
· 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, minced and seeded
· 1/2 cup ketchup
· 60ml beer (preferably Mexican)
· 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
· 3 tablespoons molasses
· 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
· 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
· 2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
· 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F.
In a bowl, mix together the onion, jalapeno, tomato sauce, beer, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, mustard powder and red pepper flakes. Then stir through the pinto beans at the end so you don't smoosh them.
Pour into an oven-proof dish and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Remove from oven and stir through the cilantro. Or if like me, you can't find cilantro use flat-leaf parsley instead.
The photo is unfortunately of the leftovers! I was so busy trying to get everything ready at the same time that I forgot to take pictures before i served. But these leftovers didn't last for long they so tasty!!
These go great served with this Pulled Pork
These Flour Tortillas
And this Salsa